Ottawa SEO Workshop Series 2018
Local SEO, SEO 101, DIY SEO – A Rose By Any Other Name Would Smell As Sweet
If you are a small business trying to make an online name for yourself locally, this workshop series is for you! And you can pick and choose your topics so it is a completely personalized experience.
RSVP to the SEO 101 Workshop Facebook Event for updates!
Why SEO Matters for Small Businesses
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is one of the most profitable Return On Investments (RIOs) that a small business can reliably count on when it is done properly and consistently. There are companies out there that offer SEO services for your website that will do all the nitty gritty work for you (like me!), and there are plenty of things that you can do yourself if you’re on the tech savvy side of things. This series of SEO 101 Workshops will allow you to gain the knowledge to improve your website for purposes of showing up on the first few Search Engine Results Pages (SERPs) and for the very-important human visitors. This means, you get more clients, which leads to more money in your pocket.
SEO 101 Syllabus
During each workshop you will learn from the basics to advanced implementation of each topic, to ensure you are fully educated on the subject matter at hand. This means that the workshops are great for beginners AND for more experienced users such as web designers who want to offer an extra level to their service. Get ready for an hour of intense, knowledge-packed information! There will also be a question period in each series of the workshop, plus access to the VIP group for ongoing questions and assistance.
By the end of the Local SEO Workshop Series, you will :
- Know how to make sure search engines like Google or Bing know your website exists.
- Know how to use strategic keywords and how to use them to get found locally.
- Know how to create meaningful backlinks to propel your business and your rankings.
- Know how to ensure ALL of your website’s content is optimized for being found in search engine results.
- Be aware of other valuable Online Resources for improving your website and monitoring the effect of the changes.
- Know how to implement all the knowledge you’ve learnt into your website.
- Q&A Period for those tough questions you’ve been dying to know, are too embarrassed to ask (send them privately and I will post them anonymously), or couldn’t find answers online.
You will leave the workshop series with the required knowledge and confidence to improve your site, along with invaluable online resources. You will also have access to the VIP Facebook group, a space where you can ask all of your website & SEO questions, even after the workshop is over.
Only need a refresher on one or two of the topics? No problem–they are all available for individual registration. Tickets are $20 per workshop.
Ready to register? Let’s do this!
- February 22 (Nepean): Using Content Pillars To Raise Your Rankings –> BOOK HERE!
In this workshop, you will learn what content pillars are, how to implement them, and how they help improve your overall rankings for being found in search results. Each attendee will receive personalized guidance to help them figure out what their content pillars are (each business is different), and a corresponding worksheet.
- *February 26 (Manotik): How To Get Found Locally –> MORE INFO HERE
For Manotik BIA Members Only, 60$ for the day (includes meal). Public workshop on this topic to be given in June (see below).
- March Date TBD: Blogging SEO –> RESERVE YOUR SPOT NOW
In this workshop, you will learn how blogging will take your website to great heights, how to curate your feed for the most returning and engaged visitors, and how to optimize each post. Attendees will receive a printable worksheet for blogging, and an SEO Checklist for each post.
- April Date TBD: Backlinks & Guest-Posting –> RESERVE YOUR SPOT NOW
In this workshop, you will learn how backlinks and guest-posting can greatly improve your authority as an expert and your search rankings, and how to track and monitor your results. Each attendee will receive a take-home worksheet, a list of resources for writing great articles (we’re not all renown authors!), and a checklist for what you need to do/receive in order to benefit from the guest-posting.
- May Date TBD: Optimizing Your Site With Images –> RESERVE YOUR SPOT NOW
In this workshop, you will learn how optimizing your website media items can drastically improve your search rankings, how to optimize each image, and how to take advantage of this simple yet effective tactic. Each attendee will receive a take-home worksheet with a personalized recommendation.
- *June Date TBD: How To Get Found Locally –> RESERVE YOUR SPOT NOW
In this workshop, you will learn how to optimize your website in a way to be found locally for your product and/or service. Each attendee will receive a checklist of actionable items and resources to make the most of local searches.
- July Date TBD: What Keywords To Use In Your SEO Implementation –> RESERVE YOUR SPOT NOW
In this workshop, you will learn how to perform keyword research and determine what types of keywords and keyword phrases you should be using, and on overview of the implementation process. Each attendee will receive a take-home worksheet with a personalized recommendation, and a list of resources to perform the research.
Not Quite Ready? Here are some Workshop FAQs
- Is this workshop series for beginners or is there advanced content? YES! The thing about SEO is that it is constantly evolving and algorithms are changing, so even an expert such as myself is still permanently learning. This series of workshops focus on ONE topic at a time so that we can focus on making sure the basics (the WHY) have been established and then we dive in deeper to more advanced implementation options (the HOW).
- Can we bring our computers? You are encouraged to take notes on paper, and take advantage of the worksheets and handouts. You are welcome to bring a tablet or laptop, but please keep your activity directly related to the workshop content and avoid distracting others. It is best to save implementation for AFTER the workshop, and focus on making actionable lists during so you don’t miss anything (it will be jam-packed with information!). You can absolutely bring up your website on your screen during the Q&A period to ask the instructor for help for the remaining time.
- My website runs on a not-WordPress website (SquareSpace, Wix, etc.), will I benefit from this workshop? Absolutely! While the implementation portion will be demonstrated within the WordPress platform, the majority of the information can be applied to any website, including on made with SquareSpace.
- Will you be giving us the notes / slides at the end of the workshop? Ticket holders will have access to the Facebook group for asking questions after the training, as well as worksheet(s) during each course so you can take notes as we go through the information. The full SEO for Small Businesses workbook (15+ pages) is available for purchase separately for 80$. Please email stephanie@theSEOsquirrel.com for more information on the workbook.
- Can I register for future events even though the date has not yet been chosen? Absolutely. The topics have been published, and you are able to reserve your seat (only 12 available per event) by paying the event fee in advance. In the unlikely event you are unable to attend the date chosen, you can transfer your ticket to another individual or workshop date.
Can’t make it and want to stay updated on all things SEO? Signup for the newsletter!